Sunday, August 28, 2005

Extravagance

I own too much stuff. One of the most convicting things about getting married is seeing the sum total of two peoples crap piled up. It is even more disheartening when you realize that most of it is your own. Seriously, a bookshelf full of books, Over 200 CD's. not one, but two newer videogame systems, many DVD's, a computer, a car, golf clubs, a skateboard, about 5 frisbee's, and all sorts of other random stuff. I live an extravagant life, I shudder to think about how much money I have put into this meaningless stuff.

Do you want to know the sickest part of it? My happiest memories don't include ANY of it. My first mission trip was to China and I had two backpacks full of stuff. That's it. Four shirts, two pairs of pants, un-mentionables, a Bible and an unnecessary Game Boy. What I had though, was an amazing roommate named Han Jian Xian, a team full of supportive friends and the voice of God telling me this is what I was made for. It was the first time in my life I remember being happy for any sustained period of time. Not just laughing at the occasional joke, but happy. Giddy. Joyful. I was up late, then up early. I prayed. I studied. I spoke. I played. I taught. I listened. I had a reason to get up and face the day and saw a purpose greater than my own fulfillment. Isn't that real extravagance?

The next summer I was in Chicago. I packed similarly. What I didn't bring this time though was a team to be constantly around me (though I had friends in the area). Now here I was, in the inner city in an Mexican immigrant church. I was confused, frustrated by language concerns and constantly bombarded by kids from the Bible school I was assisting with. You know what? Joy. I loved La Villita. I love Marcos, Tiff and Pastor Vic like my own family. Jose' Luis was one of my closest friends and we never said a word the other could understand! I could've lived that summer with a fifth of the joy I was given. Instead I was given something more extravagant.

I refuse to believe that anyone expects too much from Jesus. Its impossible. Are issue is that expect too little. Christians reading this, too often we expect Jesus to be a nice entree' in the rest of our lives. We pray without expecting much to change. We go to church hoping to see people we like or sing songs that make us feel good. So we experience Jesus to the level we expect a good meal, a tasty dish once or twice a week. Too bad Jesus wants to give us so much more. He wants our lives to be epic, reckless, yes, extravagant stories of love, risk, persecution and joy. He created us to be used to change communities, colleges, and lives. We settle for prayers before bedtime. Oh, and TV's, Ninetendo's, DVD's and (in my case) the NFL. To my non-Christian friends reading this; I am sorry that too often I only show you what I settle for. I show you my petty disagreements and my new toys. I too expect too little from Jesus, I expect the meaningless days in my life to exceed the purposeful ones. I know better. I know better than to expect my extravagance of stuff to make my life complete. I know that everytime I look back at China or Chicago. If you ever decide to follow Jesus, expect Him to be a living God, He won't disappoint.

(I want to dedicate this post to my bride Donan. Marriage has served to be the most constant reminder that Jesus gives abundantly to His people. I never could've imagined any person to be a perfectly suited to love and challenge me as you are. I know that we would not be together without the grave and constant involvement of our Creator. Extravagance has never been so good.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you are quitting the league!?!?!? j/k. Two weeks? You're slippin' old man. I just wanted to say that I agree with you in many ways. I sit here with my computer on, with six windows open and the TV with the *sigh* wretched VMAs on. I describe my need for these things, and all my other flippin' toys, as something to fill the gap between social engagements. The best memories I have are something that I have done with friends. Filming skits, WCWF (I'll let you explain that particular one, Bremerton Brawler), or just kicking it with friends. More and more, though, I have come to rely on my gidgets and gadgets more than people. At least I'm not alone in that feeling!

Anonymous said...

sweet!