Friday, August 05, 2005

What's in a Flag?

I am not sure what makes me more excited to see The Dukes of Hazzard movie, Stifler and Johnny Knoxville together at last, the acting debut of the soulful crooner that is Jessica Simpson, or car chases, car chases and more car chases. It's a Duke's movie, it has to be all about that car. The car will be out running pokey's, jumping over bridges and glistening in the sun like only that orange beauty can. The big V-8 engine, the classic car body and of course the big Confederate flag on the roof. What? A friggin Confederate flag?!!

For the life of me, I cannot figure out our nation's fixation with that flag. I see it on bandannas, as window stickers, as tattoos and in some rare cases, blowing in the wind on capitol buildings (Georgia, until a couple of years ago). Now call me naive, but didn't the Confederacy lose? Now call me crazy, but isn't that a good things for everyone in this country (especially if your skin isn't milky white)? Now stop calling me names, and really stop with the flag already!

I am not historically illiterate enough to break the Civil War down as simply as "the North was fighting for the freedom of slave, while the South was fighting to keep slaves" (even though this is exactly how it was presented to me in High School). I know that there was competition between North and South economically and socially. I know that the South felt under-represented and under-appreciated. I know that Honest Abe freed the slaves for as much as a political slap to the South as an act of conscience. However, I also know that there was a war that divided this country and one side had a law ABOLISHING the institution of slavery, while the other seemed a long, long way away from such a law. So as a result, a funny thing happens when I see the Confederate flag, I see racism. I see murder. I see destroyed families. I see a divided nation. I hear things too (maybe it's time for my check-up?). I hear "they ain't really human after all", "They're just a bunch of savages", "Who really cares about the niggers anyway?". And those things make me angry. From content to angry in 1 second and all it takes is one flag.

The US legacy in race relations is really poor. From slavery, to Jim Crowe, to "separate but equal", to the Dixiecrats. Our nation has been broken by racism. It still is. This is why our neighborhoods are separated, our churches are separated, our upper class remains white and why middle America doesn't like Allen Iverson. It's also why the Confederate flag still waves. I don't claim to be without faults. I have said many racist things. I have feared the "other" as much as anyone else. I still battle a desire to stick to "where I belong". But I choose to say no to that. I pray for the strength to not be ruled by my fears. Our legacy is poor, we cannot forget that, but we can choose to stop celebrating it.

(numbers 3-5 on my top five are still coming, I just woke up this morning with this on my heart)

6 comments:

Paul said...

are you really going to watch "duke of hazards"?

Jeremiah said...

not a chance on God's green earth

Anonymous said...

What if the earth changed colors?

Jeremiah said...

I would be too busy freaking out to go see any movies. I mean seriously, you wake up one morning and the earth is purple, what's the first thing you do? #1 check to see if the milk went, REALLY bad. #2 sit in a corner and wig out.... #6567 start to consider seeing a movie. #6578 begin by watching Shawshank... #902348 consider watching Dukes of Hazzard. #902349 Die at the ripe age of 119, right before the movie is zapped into your brain by robots.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeremiah, this is Dan Cadol, not Anonymous...
Thanks for just making me spend my time reading six sweet, sweet essays, rather than patch my thermarest. I think you'll get to the 'doing justice' thing soon enough, probably a lot sooner than me, but in the meantime please keep writing about it for the rest of us. Lord knows i need the reminders.
Say hi to Donan for me.
Godspeed!

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of that rant, but unfortunately it is gonna be a long time before that flag is wiped out. Not as long as the political supporters of the flag can hide behind the notion that it stands for state's rights and all of that nonsense. But hell, how many times did these people elect Stromm Thurmond anyway? They are not to be trusted! j/k. Actually, I think a lot of why it is really still around is because of Southern Pride and the cultural identity involved in it. "Hey, you got a Con. Flag! You like Skynyrd?" "You bet I do! Yeehaw!" and so on and so forth. Plus, people always want to do stuff that piss other people off. Rebels are cool!