Monday, August 07, 2006

tv can inspire

I want to create something.

I have been watching "Freaks and Geeks" lately. It's one of the best pieces of digital entertainment that I have ever seen. It is funny, heartfelt, awkward, it is just a pitch perfect show. Every once in awhile I see something that does more than entertain me, it actually makes me want to jump in and do something. Too often I think that we limit ourselves to thinking that we can only be inspired by some classic book or epic movie, "Freaks and Geeks" is just a high school dramady, but I feel creatively juiced by it. It makes me long for the nights when Patrick, Dylan, Aaron, Nick and Adam and I would just run a muck with video camera. I am sure much of what we created was unwatchable to many people, but some stuff was just plain good. I want to make something good again.

Any else ever feel like this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, especially when watching "Freaks and Geeks"... taking your own stories and turning them into thought provoking shows. I want life to be creative!

Anonymous said...

dude, you know the answer is yes. let's get shameless.

Jacob said...

J-dog:

I thought of you when listening to this week's 'filmspotting' episode. Check it out: the top 5 list was basically built around the idea of movies that they attribute motivational powers to - in essence, this very 'get up and make something' attitude you are describing.

I'd say that a big part of our problem is the monetization of creativity - it seperates the world into two classes 1)professional creators 2)critics.

I think more of the world should take the 'High Fidelity' plunge - actually getting something of their own 'out there'...so class one can drop the professional tag and class two can slide into the dark.