Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Post Sabbatical Changes: Photography

My sabbatical ended last friday. I will miss so much about that rich time. I miss the profound moments of clarity, but I also miss space. The space to walk, rather than drive. The space to sit and drink coffee, rather than throw it in the tumbler. The space for a long bike ride. 

The most tangible fruit of space has been a developing love of photography. I recently sold much of my childhood toy collection to purchase my first DSLR camera. Below are some of my favorite shots. Most tell a story. 

The majority of shots are from my deck. I have grown in love of my home over sabbatical. My view is spectacular. Specifically, the shots of Isaac playing on the deck and the sunrise that looks like fire are from the morning after the election. I woke that morning scared for my marginalized friends and wondering about my call to study to be a church pastor. My son playing and God's fire spoke to me. I wish I could tell you what they said...I can't. It wasn't peace. It wasn't anger. The closest word I could use would...resolve. A resolve to be the church in some consistent way. The Lord woke me early to show me His fire and my own son. I came in from that chilly morning sure I want to be a pastor. I can't totally say why. 

Other shots are of Moira exploring. She is at the science center. She is climbing a tree. She is throwing leaves. Watching Moira attack life has become one of the great joys of my life. My daughter is ferocious. Her ferocity can at times be exhausting, but it also reminds me that no day is normal. There is more to discover and more to see. 

Hodgins Drug and the Corner Club are Moscow institutions. They are part of my weird, divided, eclectic North Idaho home. I like the shots, but I enjoy the city that birthed them more. 































No comments: