Monday, December 19, 2005

Quick Hit Thoughts

Sorry, no Advent reflection today. For the record, I have not grown bored with the season, I am just full of non-Christmas thoughts today, and I kind of just need to get them out. Nothing serious mind you, just thoughts. So here we go, in no particular order:

Narnia

If you know me, I am a huge fan of the Narnia series. Such a big fan that I read all the books yearly. Such a big fan that if you ever email me you are required to use the word Aslan. Such a big fan that I once led a small group time that generally is used for Bible study, to instead study an important section from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I say all of this not to sound impressive (or for that matter, really pathetic), but instead so that all of my cyber friends can know just how seriously I took the new The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, flick. So on Saturday night, I sat down with a group of high schoolers ready to be blown away by a movie that I have anxiously waited since it was announced about a year ago.

I was not blown away.

It wasn't a bad movie mind you. The CG was fantastic. And not fantastic in that "wow that was an awesome effect" sense, but fantastic in the "I totally forgot that those aren't real beavers talking sense". Exactly the kind of realism that makes one wish that more directors knew how to use a computer as a tool instead of a crutch. The Narnia of the film was really a magical land, no faun, dwarf looked as though it didn't belong. Even Aslan, the most important CG character looked real and majestic enough (though I should point out, that he inherited some of the weird glow from the art depicting Jesus. Urg). The acting was solid as well. So was the casting.

So what was this film missing? I have struggled to sum that up myself. I can give you specific complaints. Mr and Mrs Beaver lost way too much screen time. There was an unnecessary scene with the children being chased across a frozen river. Peter was kind of mean. But these are only symptoms of what hurt the movie. What I believe really damaged this film was that it was missing the correct tone. It looked right, but didn't feel right. We are told that Aslan is really important. We are told that he is powerful, but when we meet him, no emotional impact is made (in spite of that glow). When he (minor spoiler if you have never read the book) sacrifices himself, it is noble, but not gut-wrenchingly tragic. The entire film HAS to build to his moment of sacrifice, but the film is so busy throwing new tension at us, that it is simply something else that happens. The movie just moves to fast to develop any real emotion for any character. In fact, the only character that the film (as opposed to my fond memories of the book) makes care about is Tumnus the faun. Tumnus and Lucy's interaction is almost verbatim from the book. Much time is given to their meeting and tea. When Lucy and her siblings come to his broken into house, I was saddened by his arrest. Its a shame that the LION doesn't get such a fine treatment.

I could speculate all day about what happened in production or why certain decisions were made. Ultimately though, I felt like a book written in the 50's was made into a 21st century movie. That means that great gains were made visually, over any other adaptation before. It also means that the movie was given too much attitude and action for this guy's taste. Ultimately though, this is a great story. No one has ever weaved Biblical narrative and human fantasy in such a compelling and intelligent way as CS Lewis did. This movie doesn't lose everything in translation. And this story is still utterly enjoyable and rich. I am glad that I saw it come to life and wouldn't hesitate to catch it again on DVD and I highly recommend that you catch a matinee. If you have been lost in Narnia even once, I guarantee that seeing the lamppost will give you chills.

Seattle Sports Quick Hits

  • In spite of my better judgment, I have caught Seahawks fever. Despite twenty four years of heartbreak, my heart is already invested in seeing my boys in the Super Bowl. I feel like Matt Hasselbeck is my personal friend, whom only I believed would be able to rise to this level. Shaun Alexander is my always smiling younger brother, so talented, but I wish that I could tell him not too dance so much. Lofa Tatupu is the new kid on the block, I am insecure about too many people knowing who he is, for fear that it will spoil our friendship. Yes I have caught the fever. I know that if the fall in the playoffs, that I will also fall. And fall hard at that. I can't help it though. The last two years I have believed while others have sneered. Now I believe and people are starting to finally come to my side. Being on a full bandwagon is actually more fun, but I fear that if they fall I will be lonely again. Oh well, whatever happens, I will always be able to hear my beloved wife saying "Run Shaun Run!" in my head.
  • The Mariners signed Carl Everett and Jarrod Washburn last week. Not sure what to say about those moves. Washburn is not as good as he once was and Everett is psycho. But I'd rather have Washburn pitching than Ryan Franklin and Everett may be the first Mariner since Mike Cameron to act like he has pulse. Of course neither of these guys will determine much for next year. If Beltre hits, Felix pitches all year, and guys like Betencourt (sp?), Reed, Soriano and Lopez grow up quick, then Washburn, Everett and Kanji will be great role players. If not, then we will still suck. Can't wait for March!
  • The Sonics can't play defense. Yes, Wiess' scheme is bad, but the players are not defensive stoppers either. My solution? Do what Nate did last year, have the big guys use every single one of their fouls. If point guard goes in the paint, they get knocked on their butt. If he goes again he gets knocked on his butt again. Roll the dice and hope that they decide getting knocked on your butt 15 times a game isn't worth it. Nuf said.

The Big Finish

In about 24 hours I get to pet my dog Maxine. She is the cutest dog on earth, which means yes, she is cuter than your dog. I am stoked about that. I thought you should know.

Stay classy.

1 comment:

Denice said...

sorry jeremiah - ever since i moved to new england, teams have been claiming victories left and right. the patriots are coming back my friend and they are going to be taking names.

i think I'm going to read the books before i see the film - and I still might not see it considering your points and donan's - i value character driven stories and have never been a fan of too much tension ;)

thanks for the non-christmasy thoughts. a welcome break!