Sunday, June 18, 2006

June 18th
Bismarck, ND

Sorry for the long gap in writing, I have one blog that didn't post and one on the hard drive that won't paste. Keep your eyes open for that one.

My impressions on my travels so far are like this:
  • Wyoming is beautiful. Literally is one of the most awe-inspiring states I have ever visited.
  • Montana is pretty in spots, but once you get east it gets pretty ugly.
  • North Dakota is pretty much like Eastern Montana. Except for the Badlands. WOW. The Badlands should be required viewing for everyone, everywhere
Listened to a book on tape about Vince Lombardi. Amazing coach, amazing drive, personally terrifying to see the cost on a family when a man makes his work his mistress. I appreciate his heart and even his theology (he was appalled by self-focused thought and believed that the point of scripture was to see how we as a community of people are to relate to God. Ultimately this is why he loved team sports), but when he died it was his players, not his children who knew him best. Tragic.

Spiritual musings have been mostly focused on the role of criticism within Christianity. What do you do with your critical mind when you become a Christian? Are you supposed to turn it off in the name of "humility"? Can you ever call a fellow Christian wrong? How do you know when you should critically evaluate someone else's leadership and when you should just humbly receive their teaching? Is their a way to actually do both?

No answers yet. My gut tells me I still need to be critical and yet somehow remain teachable. The problem is I am usually a doormat when I am teachable and a pain in the ass when I am critical. Which I guess reminds me I need Jesus.

Hopefully deeper insights are coming.

I think that I am going to sign off for now, I am worried about this posting, and I don't want to re-type too much, see you in Minnesota!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really like your question on how to be critical and yet remain humble...the christian life is so full of keeping balance between seeming contradictions and paradoxes, etc. pretty fascinating and bewildering sometimes too. mw