Sunday, January 13, 2008

relief in defeat

The Seahawks are out of the playoffs.

The Cougars are not going to go undefeated.

So why do I feel pretty good this evening?

I think that it has something to do with some emotional detachment. I have been so busy defending the Seahawks from a skeptical national press and trying not to jinx the Cougs, it's nice not to have to get worked up for awhile. I can simply enjoy the Super Bowl. I can pay attention to the Cougars again in March. Mariners won't stress me out until April (though I am really pulling for them to make a run a Bedard). Whew...it's kind of nice to exhale.

I have always held out some dream to go into sports journalism. I really respect the hosts on ESPN Radio and like every other sports yahoo in America I will occasionally say to myself, "I can do that" (which is of course, debatable). Unfortunately, I am too much of fan to ever feign objectivity. So instead, I get myself too worked up and then get philosophical after defeat.

Hope you all enjoy the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl. I will be watching in total emotional freedom here in Moscow.

2 comments:

Becki said...

Hi there, i was searching on Google for a band called Gen26 and found your blog instead, and an article your wrote about Christian music. I was inspired to leave you a comment which grew and grew until it almost exploded, and i posted it, and have now realised that you may well have written it years ago for all i'm aware, as i can't actually find it now *blush* But just thought i'd better let you know that it's there lol!

donan said...

Diet Pepsi does make everything better.