Tuesday, January 29, 2008

funny thought from The Sports Guy

"One other bonus with Howard that nobody mentions: Because he's a devout Christian, even when he turns 35 in 2020, those will be Christian years -- he won't have any of that smoking-drinking-partying mileage on him, which means he could play at a high level until his early-40s (much like how Kurt Warner keeps chugging along at age 36)."
-Bill Simmons, ESPN.com http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/071218

Now that is funny.

I wish I had some clever insight on this, but I don't really. I am not sure that it is true is my deepest insight. His Airness played till nearly 40, and smoked some pretty intense cigars and Mark Sweeney of the Royals is one of the most outspoken Christians in Major League Baseball and he breaks down more often than my crappy Clearwire internet box. However it does raise an interesting question; if you were going to start a team, would rather have a "body is my temple" Christian player, or similarly talented wild man who will step on the throat of their opponent to win? Can a Christian step on the throat of an opponent? Can a Christian still follow Jesus and put a few smoking-drinking-partying mileage on themselves?

Interesting thought all around....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, I think I will leave you a comment every day until you blog again... I don't want to be the only person in the world you hears your brillant thoughts!