Friday, November 13, 2015

Terlona



                My name is Terlona Knife and I am a freshman at Washington State University. I am majoring in Psychology and getting a minor in music. I would like to be a holistic music therapist that is very culturally aware. I really love the community that I have been surrounded by at Washington State University. I am involved in God’s Harmony, a gospel choir on campus,  and setting up and tearing down Resonate church services. Additionally, I helped start the first Black Campus Ministry with my co-leader Alethea Dumas this year.

I gave my life to Jesus the summer before eight grade at a Christian summer camp. Since then God has carried me through foster care, depression, being separated from my younger brother, and my mother’s diagnosis of Huntington’s disease. Through all of that I have learned that God’s purpose for my life is greater than my pain. In those circumstances I learned to trust in God and understand his love for me better. I have been on 2 mission trips in the past and loved living my life on mission while volunteering my time to further God’s kingdom. I hope that Urbana will help me understand other cultures and learn what God’s plan is for my life regarding mission work. I want to go to Urbana, because I know that God has a work that he wants to speak to me and push me outside of my faith and become a better lover of people, and leader of my sphere of influence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So very sorry to read about separation from your brother, Terlona, and about your mom getting Huntington's Disease and even foster care. I would have gladly been a foster parent for you (and felt privileged and very proud to be) if I had any idea. I tried contacting you after Janet divorced me many years ago, but I got no responses and wondered if the contact information was no longer valid. Tried looking you and your brother and mother up when I was in Seattle once about four or five years ago, too, but could not find you.

At the same time, I'm very glad to read about your giving your life to Christ -- the best news I could hope to hear -- and I hope Urbana was great for you. I went once many years ago, myself.

I still think you're TERRIFIC.

--David Haggith